Thursday 5 December 2013

Songs In The Key Of MY Life: Scarlet Party - 101 Damnations

 
It was 1982. This song blasted out of the radio and I thought - YES :) - what a song. If you've read earlier in the blog, you will know I'm a sucker for a Rickenbacker. Now, not only was this a Rickie Fest but it also sounded like a spookily updated version of The Beatles with John on vocals.
 
It turned out to be the first single by the band Scarlet Party.
 
Scarlet Party were formed by brothers Graham & Steven Dye with drummer Sean Heaphy.
 
In the autumn of 1982 it was never off my turntable. Although it only reached the mid 40s in the singles chart, I STILL LOVE IT.
 
 
 
 
 
 
In February 1983, they released their new singles, Eyes of Ice. I rushed out to get that too
 
 
 
 
 
 
Here are the B sides of the two singles that were officially released.
 
 
 
 
An album, Scarlet Skies, was imminent. I waited. And waited. But........ it never arrived
 
 
 
As Wikipedia says
 
'Scarlet Skies', was recorded at Abbey Road Studios in 1981-82, but has never been officially released. The linked songs explore themes of war, love, and alienation, in styles reminiscent of both the mini pop operas of The Who, and the progressive concept albums of Pink Floyd.
 
Back in the early 1990s, I managed to get hold of Sean Heaphy. He told me that EMI pulled the marketing budget for the album to help promote another artist. He declined to tell me who. But he sent me a copy of Scarlet Skies. And do you know what, it's excellent.
 
So, the great LOST album still remains lost. To the majority. :)
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Great to see someone else celebrating the grossly overlooked Scarlet Party. I bought 101 Damnations as a teenager in 1982 and it’s always been one of my favourite singles. I also bought Eyes of Ice in early 1983 and looked forward to the album. Sadly it never came.

    Do you have a contact email or Twitter account for Sean. I know he was selling the album in aid of Cancer Research a few years back. I'd love to buy a copy and that's a great cause. Any help would be much appreciated!

    Many thanks,

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - LOVE Scarlet Party's music, and also the songs they released als "Apostrophe". Everything sounds so Beatlesque and uplifiting! Is there any chance you could share the "Scarlet Skies" album? I would so very much like to hear more by them...

      Delete